We have supported parkruns as part of the Operation Transformation Programme with the National Run Day that was held on Feb. 20th ,2016.
Sports Active Wexford in partnership with the HSE Health Promotion continues to support the weekly set up of two parkruns in 2016. The iconic venues chosen are Johnstown Castle and JFK Arboretum with the support of Teagasc and the OPW who run both venues. Two communities of volunteers have set up the runs and volunteer each week.
Our Latest parkrun is in Gorey Town park
With the promotion of Operation Transformation the parkruns were highlighted in the RTE Programme to support the Couch to 5k programme. and
We organise with Local link Wexford transport at a cost of €3 return for both runs starting on the first Saturday in March from New Ross and Wexford Town to the venues on a 3 month trial.
What is parkrun?
The parkrun is a unique concept in running and community sports by weekly, 5K, timed, free runs open to all. Other aspects to note are:
- parkrun started in 2004 with just 14 runners at Bushy Park, Teddington in London.
- In Irelands first year 11,354 parkrunners completed 40,989 five kilometer runs of which 11,546 were personal best’s.
- Events are organised by local volunteers with support from parkrun.
- parkrun has generated phenomenal volunteering In Ireland unique volunteers donate hours to deliver free events every Saturday.
- parkruns are very popular local community events with parkrunners showing strong loyalty.
- Every event is growing and there is strong demand for more.
Parkrun drives sustained running & participation by:
- parkrunners are encouraged to join running and other sports clubs to progress their running.
- parkrunners are encouraged to enter local races (eg 10Ks, Half Marathons, etc).
- Clubs and race organisers use parkruns to publicise their clubs and events.
- Some Local Authorities are permanently marking parkrun courses so that runners can use them at any time.
- parkruns are organised by enthusiastic local volunteers.
- Annual operational costs are relatively low.
- parkrun operational costs are covered by commercial sponsors
- parkrun is a not-for-profit company.
Since the start of the promotion in January we have had 1479 In Johnstown Castle with the highest attendance in both being 285 on the week which promoted the Ambassadors for Park Run.
Since the start of the promotion in January we have had 1252 runners in JFK Arboretum.
Telephone: 053 9196557